Burning Barrels

Burning household garbage in burn barrels, stoves, and fire pits creates pollution that’s dangerous to human health and contaminates the air, water, and soil. It’s also against the law for most homeowners in Minnesota. Click here for more information on burning or on the the State laws prohibiting backyard burning.

Minnesota Polution Control Agency 

MPCA is the regulatory agency for Minnesota’s environmental issues. Please visit their website at http://www.pca.state.mn.us

To contact MPCA by phone, call 651-296-6300 in the Twin Cities area, or toll free at 800-657-3864 if calling from greater Minnesota.

To report spills or environmental emergencies, call the State Duty Officer at 651-649-5451 or toll free 800-422-0798. The MPCA’s TTY number is 651-282-5332. The State Duty Officer’s TTY number is 651-297-5353, or toll free 800-627-3529.

Battery Recycling

ECSWC does battery recycling by use of Call-2-Recycle.  Positive ends of batteries must be taped.  Some batteries are placed in plastic bags prior to placing in the Call-2-Recycle box.  We then ship those boxes off.  Please don’t place lithium-ion batteries in your garbage; the can release highly toxic gases and when they fail, excessive heat can cause them to explode.  Many fires at landfills and transfer stations have been attributed to lithium-ion batteries.